Re: How PostgreSQL handles Binary Large Objects (LOB/BLOB): types BYTEA, OID/pg_largeobjects and DATALINK - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How PostgreSQL handles Binary Large Objects (LOB/BLOB): types BYTEA, OID/pg_largeobjects and DATALINK
Date
List pgsql-general
Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com> writes:
> The Wiki page about ORACLE and BLOBs [2] seems to me little bit
> outdated. It says "Binary large object support in Postgres is very
> poor and unsuitable for use in a 24/7 environment, because you can't
> dump them with pg_dump."

That whole page is largely obsolete, I think, but that particular
claim hasn't been true since 8.1 or so.

> There's the new data type DATALINK [5].

AFAICT that page is a wish-list.  It certainly doesn't describe any
committed code, and if there's work in progress for that, I don't
know about it.

            regards, tom lane