Re: WIP patch - INSERT-able log statements - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP patch - INSERT-able log statements
Date
Re: WIP patch - INSERT-able log statements  ("Guillaume Smet" <guillaume.smet@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-patches
"Guillaume Smet" <guillaume.smet@gmail.com> writes:
> (each query is run on a different backend). With stderr you don't have
> sufficient information to know the query you should append the text
> to. Syslog adds useful context information (pid, command line, command
> number) which allows you to guarantee the consistency.
> It's a real problem for us and that's why I don't recommend using
> stderr when you use pgFouine.

Of course, the other side of that coin is that syslog is known to drop
messages altogether under sufficient load.  (At least on some platforms;
dunno about yours.)

            regards, tom lane