Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> However, moving the WAL files to another disk has a significant
> performance gain attached to it for loaded servers, so we how about we
> take the viewpoint that if WinNT/2k/XP are to be supported then we might
> as well let it do things properly instead of handicapping it?

Considering that we do not yet have support for WinAnything except via
cygwin, this thread strikes me as mighty premature.

And, to be blunt, I'm not likely to go out of my way to improve support
for WinAnything even when we do have a native port.  In words of one
syllable: WinAnything is not, and never will be, a preferred platform
for Postgres.  Accordingly, performance improvements for it are just a
distraction from our real business; a distraction which plays into the
hands of Gates & Co.  No thank you.  I'm okay with providing minimal
support for those who really want to run toy databases on a toy
platform.  I will *not* buy into trying to make it a non-toy platform.