Re: COPY error: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lee Joramo
Subject Re: COPY error: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for the feed back.

>Just a guess, but is there an embedded tab in the last field that you are
>mistaking for a space?  I've done that before and pulled my hair out trying
>to figure out the issue.

Nope. When I quoted the bad line in my orignal message, I replaced
literal tabs with <TAB> with search and replace in my text editor. The
tabs are just where they should be. (The bad line is quoted at the end of
this message.)

>Any other info in the log file that might give you a clue?  Typically I find
>some entry about a failed atoi (ascii to int) or something that can get me
>pointed in the right direction.

I have looked for a proper log file, and can find own. On inspecting the
startup script it looks like postmaster is being involved with the
following command:

   su -l postgres -c '/usr/bin/postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql'

For a log file, shouldn't it be something like:

   su -l postgres -c '/usr/bin/postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql >
path/logfile'

>I have felt your pain before.  It's something simple that you will kick
>yourself over.  Best of luck.

I have felt this pain before too. I hope that I end up kicking myself and
not cursing postgre ;-)

--
Lee A. Joramo                      ljoramo@nickads.com
The Nickel Want Ads                www.nickads.com