Re: Information about columns - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Information about columns
Date
List pgsql-general
Dario Teixeira <darioteixeira@yahoo.com> writes:
> *However*, if I create a new type (which has an associated pg_class entry),
> and define a function which returns a SETOF that type, RowDescription will
> not tell me its OID.  For example:
> Is this a bug or a conscious decision?

It's intentional; IIRC, the current behavior is defined that way because
that's what the JDBC driver needs to implement the JDBC specs.  Putting
information about composite types where information about tables is
expected would confuse the heck out of existing client code.

            regards, tom lane