Re: Seeking datacenter PITR backup suggestions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Seeking datacenter PITR backup suggestions
Date
List pgsql-general
Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 08:31:10PM +0100, Gregory Stark wrote:
>> Postgres tries to reuse WAL files. Once the archive_command completes it
>> believes it is safe to reuse the old file without deleting it. That will do
>> nasty things if you've used ln as your archive command.

> I thought that was specifically disabled when PITR was enabled? Or do we
> just do a rename rather than an unlink ond creating a new file?

No.  The only difference is we don't recycle the file until the
archive_command says it's done with it.

The archive_command must actually physically copy the data someplace
else, and must not return success until it's sure the copy is good.
Perhaps the docs are not sufficiently clear on the point?

            regards, tom lane