Re: trouble making PG use my Perl - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: trouble making PG use my Perl
Date
List pgsql-general
Kevin Brannen <KBrannen@efji.com> writes:
> On Centos 6.10, it ships with Perl 5.10.1, which is really ancient to
> me.

Well, yeah, because RHEL 6/Centos 6 are really ancient.  That's what
I'd expect with a long-term-support distro that's nearly EOL.
Replacing its Perl version would go against the whole point of
an LTS distro.

> Centos 8 ships with 5.14 (IIRC).

I don't have an actual Centos 8 machine handy to disprove that,
but the info I have says that RHEL8/Centos 8 branched off from
Fedora 28, and F28 most definitely shipped with Perl 5.26.
Looking at their git repo, the last few Fedora releases
shipped with

f23    5.22.2
f24    5.22.4
f25    5.24.3
f26    5.24.4
f27    5.26.2
f28    5.26.3
f29    5.28.2
f30    5.28.2
f31    5.30.1
f32    5.30.1

which so far as I can tell is tracking Perl releases pretty promptly
(keep in mind Fedora releases are on a six-month cadence).  In the
Red Hat world, if you want bleeding edge you should be using Fedora.
RHEL/Centos are for people who want to set up a server and have a
reasonably stable software environment for five or ten years.

> Still pretty bad and it makes me like your conspiracy theory about
> Python folks ignoring it on purpose.

As an ex-Red-Hat employee, I am used to but nonetheless tired of
Red Hat haters.  If you don't like their distro, fine, but don't
spread demonstrably false misinformation about it.

            regards, tom lane