Re: Views, views, views! (long) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Views, views, views! (long)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> As stated above, these system views, once incorporated into a pg
> distribution, are likely to be with us *forever*.

I dislike to burst your bubble, but this claim is ridiculous on its
face.

We don't whack the system catalogs around from release to release just
because we'd like to break as many user applications as possible ...
quite the contrary.  When we change the catalogs it's because there
is some fairly fundamental change in functionality involved.  I think
the idea that some views in front of the catalogs can hide this problem
is the merest pipe dream.

To put it more bluntly: exactly what are you accomplishing here that
isn't already accomplished, in a *truly* standard fashion, by the
INFORMATION_SCHEMA?  Why do we need yet another nonstandard view on
the underlying reality?