Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance
Date
List pgsql-general
Doug McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> writes:
> On Nov 27, 2007, at 8:36 PM, Gregory Stark wrote:
>> I think (but I'm not sure) that the kernel in OSX comes from BSD.

> Kind of.  Mach is still running underneath (and a lot of the app APIs
> use it directly) but there is a BSD 'personality' above it which
> (AIUI) is big parts of FreeBSD ported to run on Mach.  So when you use
> the Unix APIs you're going through that.

The one bit of the OSX userland code that I've really had my nose rubbed
in is libedit, and they definitely took that from NetBSD not FreeBSD.
You sure you got your BSDen straight?

Some random poking around at
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.5/
finds a whole lot of different-looking license headers.  But it seems
pretty clear that their userland is BSD-derived, whereas I've always
heard that their kernel is Mach-based.  I've not gone looking at the
kernel though.

            regards, tom lane