Re: Log timestamps at higher resolution - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Log timestamps at higher resolution
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 08:00:24AM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 7:51 AM David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>>> Per gripes I've been hearing with increasing frequency, please find
>>> attached a patch that implements $Subject. It's microsecond resolution
>>> because at least at the moment, nanosecond resolution doesn't appear
>>> to be helpful in this context.

>> Wouldn't you want to choose a new letter or some other way to make
>> existing format control strings do what they always did?

> I hadn't because I'd looked at the existing format as merely buggy in
> lacking precision, although I guess with really fussy log processors,
> this change could break things.

Aside from breaking things, this would increase log volume, which is
already a pain point for many people.  So I think your odds of getting
it committed as-is are nil.  It might be OK as a different letter, or
with some other way of controlling the precision.