Re: Why data of timestamptz does not store value of timezone passed to it? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Why data of timestamptz does not store value of timezone passed to it?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> writes:
> It was actually rather disappointing to hear that we had a
> conforming implementation and changed away from it circa the 7.2
> release;

That is not the case.  The existing implementation is work that Tom
Lockhart did around 6.3 or so.  It was called timestamp at the time,
and was renamed to timestamp with time zone in 7.2, in order to make
room for timestamp without time zone (which I think *is* spec compliant
or close enough).  That was probably an unfortunate choice; but at
no time was there code in PG that did what the spec says timestamp
with time zone should do.