Re: Password issue revisited - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Password issue revisited
Date
List pgsql-general
> Tony Caduto wrote:
>> What about having a wallet type system where the user can create a pass
>> phrase to protect a generated key that would get
>> loaded once per session.  That is how KDE allows users to store passwords.

> If we wanted to do that, we could use the Windows API that's available
> to do this. The idea with the pgpass flie is to have it compatible with
> the unix version.

More to the point, that's far outside the scope of this project.  Use a
PAM auth module that you like, or Kerberos or whatever.  I'm way past
tired of "let's put yet another authentication technology in libpq" requests.

            regards, tom lane