Re: "anyelement2" pseudotype - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "anyelement2" pseudotype
Date
Re: "anyelement2" pseudotype  ("Matt Miller" <pgsql@mattmillersf.fastmail.fm>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Matt Miller" <pgsql@mattmillersf.fastmail.fm> writes:
> A few months ago at
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-11/msg01770.php the
> notion of adding an "anyelement2" pseudotype was discussed.  The context
> was a compatibility SQL function to support Oracle's DECODE function.
> Assuming this new pseudotype has not been added yet, I'm ready to look
> into doing this myself, and I'd like a bit of shove in the right direction.

The reason it's not in there already is we didn't seem to have quite
enough use-case to justify it.  Do you have more?

As for actually adding it, grep for all references to ANYELEMENT and add
code accordingly; shouldn't be that hard.  Note you'd need to add an
anyarray2 at the same time for things to keep working sanely.