Re: remove BufferBlockPointers for speed and space - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: remove BufferBlockPointers for speed and space
Date
List pgsql-patches
Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Qingqing Zhou wrote:
>> It is said that the BufferBlockPointers is used to speedup the
>> BufferGetBlock() macro. I compared three ways of getting block pointers.

> Do you have results for more recent gcc releases?

Or more than one hardware architecture (which you didn't even say what
you tested...)

Also, I would like to see the actual test code.  I wonder whether what
you measured is the ability of the compiler to optimize references to
successive elements of an array inside a loop; that has little or
nothing to do with the typical usage of BufferGetBlock().

            regards, tom lane