Re: Dump Problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Dump Problem
Date
List pgsql-general
"Ian Harding" <ianh@tpchd.org> writes:
> Can someone tell me how to go about fixing this?  I am trying a data only dump, but it seems to need to get a view
definition?
> bash-2.05$ pg_dump -a -d planning > foo
> getTables(): SELECT (for VIEW DEFINITION) failed.  Explanation from backend: ERROR:  cache lookup for proc 15505994
failed

Evidently you've got a broken view ("broken" meaning "relies on a
function that no longer exists").  You'll need to find and drop that
view.

7.2's pg_dump would tell you exactly which view it's failing on,
but 7.1's doesn't.  You could run pg_dump after doing
    export PGOPTIONS="-d2"
and then look in the postmaster log to see the queries pg_dump
sends to the backend.  The last query before the failure would
tell you which view was being retrieved.

            regards, tom lane