Re: > 16TB worth of data question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: > 16TB worth of data question
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeremiah Jahn <jeremiah@cs.earlham.edu> writes:
> The only issue with this is that it is difficult to recomend to our
> clients who depend on bob and cuz'n joe to support their hardware.

And you expect them to be successful running a database that acquires
2TB+ of data per year?  I think you need to recalibrate your
expectations.  Consumer-grade junk PCs do not have the reliability
to make such a project even worth starting.  Run the database on decent
made-to-be-a-server hardware, or you'll regret it.

I think I've spent more time chasing various people's hardware failures
lately than I have in investigating real Postgres bugs.  I keep
volunteering to look at failures because I figure there are still some
data-loss bugs to be found, but I am coming to have a *real* low opinion
of off-the-shelf PC hardware.

            regards, tom lane