Re: postgres startup failure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgres startup failure
Date
List pgsql-general
Matt Bartolome <mattxbart@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> So right now I'm wondering whether you're not failing to notice
>> a relevant log message(s).  You've evidently managed to launch
>> the syslogger --- where is it configured to write the postmaster
>> log?

> Gosh, you know I never even bothered looking in pg_log. Stupid! I was
> expecting to see some sort of error when doing:
> $ postgres -d 3 -D /data/postgres/

I wonder whether it'd be a good idea to write a log message on the order
of "switching to syslogger" just before cutting over the log output
during startup.  That's probably not quite the best wording, but
something like that might help to remind people where to look.

            regards, tom lane