Re: [BUGS] Invalid YAML output from EXPLAIN - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] Invalid YAML output from EXPLAIN
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> The complaints about YAML taking up too much vertical space are
> understandable, but completely opposite of what I care about.  I can
> e-mail a customer a YAML plan and it will survive to the other side and
> even in a reply back to me.  Whereas any non-trivial text format one is
> guaranteed to utterly destroyed by line wrapping along the way.

> I think this thread could use a fresh example to remind anyone who
> hasn't played with the curent YAML format what it looks like.

So?  This doesn't look amazingly unlike the current JSON output,
and to the extent that we have to add more quoting to it, it's
going to look even more like the JSON output.

Given the lack of any field separators other than newlines, I'm also
finding myself extremely doubtful about the claim that it survives
line-wrapping mutilations well.  For instance this bit:
      - Node Type: Seq Scan        Parent Relationship: Outer

doesn't appear to have anything but whitespace to distinguish it from
      - Node Type: Seq Scan Parent        Relationship: Outer