Re: OID vs overall system performances on high load

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: OID vs overall system performances on high load
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

OID vs overall system performances on high load  ("Eric Lauzon", )
 Re: OID vs overall system performances on high load  (Andrew McMillan, )
 Re: OID vs overall system performances on high load  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: OID vs overall system performances on high load  (Neil Conway, )

"Eric Lauzon" <> writes:
> I am still in the dark due to my lack of knowledge on internal OID management,but
> i would presume that a table with OID enable and that has high load would require
> some more work from pgsql internal to maintain the OID index for the database.

There is no "OID index"; at least not unless you choose to create one
for a given table.  The only thing particularly special about OID is
that there is an internal database-wide sequence generator for assigning
new values.  Otherwise it works a whole lot like a serial column.

            regards, tom lane