Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed
Date
Re: No easy way to join discussion in existing thread when not subscribed
List pgsql-www
Amir Rohan <amir.rohan@mail.com> writes:
> I've read elsewhere that a possible solution is to provide a
> mail address associated with a message (displayed on the web interface)
> that routes your mail message to the thread.

Seems awfully like a here-please-spam-us button.  The address would have
to be displayed un-obfuscated, which means it'd get picked up by spammers'
webcrawlers.  Admittedly, no one would know except the PG list moderators,
but I think they'd be unhappy about an increase in workload.

And before you ask: yes, spammers still do that.  A lot.  For example,
just a few hours ago my mailserver bounced something

Sep 27 06:30:05 sss1 sendmail[29150]: t8RAU4Ja029150: <12716.1437746049@sss.pgh.pa.us>... User unknown

that certainly has never been used as a mail address, but it does match
a message-ID in the pgsql-hackers archives from July.  I see no plausible
explanation for that except that somebody scraped it off the archives and
took it for a deliverable address.  This is not an isolated example; I see
anywhere from a couple dozen to several hundred *per day* like this in my
mail logs.

There are ways around that, probably, but I'm not sure it's worth the
work.
        regards, tom lane