Re: [HACKERS] Re: pg_ctl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: pg_ctl
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Offhand I don't see any reason to think that making system status look
>> like one or more virtual tables would be much harder to implement than
>> making it available via special-purpose postmaster protocols.  It seems
>> worth looking into, anyway.

> Tom, I remember you are going to enhance the function manager to allow
> functions to return set of rows.

Moi?  I don't recall saying any such thing.  Jan sounded like he had
some ideas about how to do it, but my ambitions for fmgr don't go
further than cleaning up NULL handling and fixing its portability
problems.  I have too many other things to do...

> If this is possible, it should be very easy to implement the virtual
> tables.

It would indeed provide a nice way of defining virtual tables --- just
make a function that returns the current table contents on-demand.