Re: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> This seems a good idea.  Possibly pushing the betas more aggresively to
>> current users would make them tested not only by PG hackers ...

> Isn't this the purpose of the new alpha releases, at lease to some extent.

The alpha releases as currently constituted are practically the exact
opposite of what's being suggested here :-(.  We are pushing them out
without very much advertisement, and certainly without any formal
program to encourage significant testing.  That's more or less forced by
the decision that alpha releases should be low-overhead, but I think
we're unlikely to get wide-ranging test coverage that way.