RE: Re: pg_dump tries to do too much per query - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew
Subject RE: Re: pg_dump tries to do too much per query
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> The general issue still remains: if a database contains an inconsistency
> or error, introduced by whatever means (and there'll always be bugs),
> a pg_dump failure is likely to be the first notice a dbadmin has about it.
> So it behooves us to make sure that pg_dump issues error messages that
> are as specific as possible.  In particular, if there is a specific
> object such as a view or rule that's broken, pg_dump should take care
> that it can finger that particular object, not have to report a generic
> "SELECT failed" error message.
>
> This problem has been around for a long time, of course, but now that
> we have someone who's taking an active interest in fixing pg_dump ;-)
> I'm hoping something will get done about it...
>
>             regards, tom lane`-----Original Message-----From:    Tom Lane [SMTP:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]Sent:    Tuesday,
September19, 2000 11:13 AMTo:    Philip WarnerCc:    pgsql-hackers@postgresql.orgSubject:    Re: [HACKERS] Re: pg_dump
triesto do too much per

query
I can't agree with this more...  On several occasions I have had
databases that apparently were working fine with no problems, and the only
indication of the problem was that pg_dump would fail.  while this is nice
in that I now know there is a problem, I had very small info on where to
start looking.