Re: Timezone abbreviations - out but not in? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Timezone abbreviations - out but not in?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> [ shrug... ]  The set of timezone abbrevs recognized on input is
>> user-configurable, so that situation will always be possible.

> Right, but shouldn't we always output something we know we can read
> back in (unambiguously), assuming a server with no user defined
> abbreviations?

The user can remove abbreviations as well as add them, or change them
in inconsistent ways (indeed the whole point of that feature was to
cope with the fact that the same abbrevs mean different things to
different people).  I don't think you can make any useful guarantees
at all.