Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL installation CD based on Morphix - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL installation CD based on Morphix
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Jean-Michel POURE said:

> Morphix could be a possible solution to the MS Windows migration
> problems. It  probably involves 50 times less work than migrating
> PostgreSQL to MS Windows  (and is a complete different project except
> for the fact that it could well  bring as much new users to PostgreSQL
> than a native Win port and is less  risky).

This is a fantasy, IMNSHO. Windows users will want a native program that
they can run just like other Windows programs, and alongside them.
Requiring the installation of a complete Linux distribution, no matter how
nicely packaged, is hardly likely to win many Windows converts to postgres.

If I were a data center manager, I would not think of allowing such a
hybrid machine into it. I would insist that we either ran postgres as a
native windows service, or run it on a pur *nix machine, or not at all.

It would be a massive and unnecessary distraction, for no benefit, for
postgresql hackers to go down this route.

BTW, the major pieces of the Windows port are falling into place quite
nicely, with little evidence so far of the risks you mention. Of course,
there will be a few teething troubles, but nobody has yet seen a major
blocker. The biggest problems (forking and signal emulation) appear to
have been solved.

cheers

andrew