Re: pipe chunks protocol - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pipe chunks protocol
Date
List pgsql-patches
>> This patch implements the protocol Tom suggested for writing to the
>> syslogger pipe. It seems to pass my tests (basically "make
>> installcheck" against a server with stderr redirection turned on and
>> log_statement set to 'all').

I didn't like this patch much --- it broke the API of
write_syslogger_file, which is supposed to just write what it's given
(and it is used from outside syslogger.c with that expectation).  Also
the way it slung unconsumed data back and forth between two buffers
seemed both confusing and inefficient.  Here's a revised version.

In my testing, I found that a standard "make installcheck" run produces
only one message large enough to be split (the "infinite_recurse" thing
in errors.sql), so this is definitely not a Good Enough test.  Maybe
we could get Ed L. or one of the other complainants to try it.  (The
patch seems to need some adjustment to apply against 8.2, though.)

            regards, tom lane

Attachment