Re: SQL functions vs. PL/PgSQL functions - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SQL functions vs. PL/PgSQL functions
Date
List pgsql-performance
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> It's possible that at some point we'll try to introduce plan caching
>> for non-inlined SQL functions.

> hm, I think the search_path/function plan issue would have to be dealt
> with before doing this --

Yeah, perhaps.  There doesn't seem to be any groundswell of demand for
doing anything about that anyway.  Particularly since plpgsql is now
installed by default, a reasonable answer to "I'd like the system to
cache plans for this" is now "so write it in plpgsql instead".

            regards, tom lane