Re: disable SSL compression? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: disable SSL compression?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The change in the Debian package I found was to build without zlib at
> all.  So no amount of turning it back on will help.  Whereas the
> upstream change was just to make the default to be off.  But anyway,
> this feature is clearly dying, so we probably shouldn't be trying very
> hard to keep it.

Right; the other point made in the referenced thread was that future
versions of the TLS spec would probably drop compression altogether.
So adding any sort of server or libpq option is work that's going to
be wasted in the long run.

> My proposal is the attached patch that sets the default in libpq to off
> and adjusts the documentation a bit so it doesn't sound like we have
> missed the news altogether.

Seems reasonable as far as it goes, but do we need to make corresponding
server-side changes?