Re: Enum proposal / design - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Enum proposal / design
Date
Re: Enum proposal / design
List pgsql-hackers
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> If there was a mechanism to obtain
>> field widths from the catalog there would be no need to store the
>> field width in each tuple. This would be useful for other types as
>> well (UUID and ENUM, for example).

> I don't think there is concensus on adding that.

Well, it's pie-in-the-sky at the moment because we have no credible
design for doing it.  Whether any given proposal would get accepted
would depend on what its downsides were.

Do we (or should we) have a TODO section for "blue sky research
ideas"?  I'd not object to putting an item like this in such a
section.  But for most of the TODO items we have a reasonably clear
idea of what we're talking about, so this doesn't seem to belong
in with the rest.