Re: Finding bottleneck

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: Finding bottleneck
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Finding bottleneck  (Kari Lavikka, )
 Re: Finding bottleneck  (Gavin Sherry, )
 Re: Finding bottleneck  (Claus Guttesen, )
 Re: Finding bottleneck  ("Merlin Moncure", )
 Re: Finding bottleneck  ("Luke Lonergan", )
  Re: Finding bottleneck  (Kari Lavikka, )
   Re: Finding bottleneck  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Finding bottleneck  ("Merlin Moncure", )
  Re: Finding bottleneck  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Finding bottleneck  (Kari Lavikka, )
   Re: Finding bottleneck  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Finding bottleneck  (Kari Lavikka, )
     Re: Finding bottleneck  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Finding bottleneck  (Kari Lavikka, )
     Re: Finding bottleneck  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Finding bottleneck  (Ron, )

"Merlin Moncure" <> writes:
> Relative to 8.0, I am seeing a dramatic, almost miraculous reduction in
> CPU load times in 8.1devel.  This is for ISAM style access patterns over
> the parse/bind interface.  (IOW one record at a time, 90% read, 10%
> write).

> Relative to commercial dedicated ISAM storage engines, pg holds up very
> well except in cpu load, but 8.1 is a huge step towards addressing that.

Cool --- we've done a fair amount of work on squeezing out internal
inefficiencies during this devel cycle, but it's always hard to predict
just how much anyone will notice in the real world.

Care to do some oprofile or gprof profiles to see where it's still bad?

            regards, tom lane