Re: Prepared transactions vs novice DBAs, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Prepared transactions vs novice DBAs, again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
> Just as a followup (and I already posted this on the pgsql-admin thread),
> the check_postgres script now has a specific check for this very case.
> It simply checks the age of entries in pg_prepared_xacts and gives
> a warning if the number is at or over the given threshhold (defaults
> to 1 second). I'm still a heavy +1 on making the default Postgres
> configuration value 0, but hopefully this will help.

Hmm, 1 second seems kinda tight --- it would not surprise me to have
valid situations where it takes over a second for an XA manager to
collect all the responses and decide to commit.  If you set it at a
minute or an hour you'd have very much less chance of false positives,
and not really give up much that I can see.