Re: postgre vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
> Gurjeet Singh escribi�:
>> I wouldn't comment on that, but having read so much about MySQL in Postgres'
>> lists, I sure have a disliking for MySQL, so much so that I haven't bothered
>> even downloading and installing it even once!!!

> I have downloaded the source at different periods of time.

In connection with my Red Hat duties I've had to look at it occasionally
:-(.  They definitely have a lower standard for commenting than we do.
I sure hope that there is unpublished documentation somewhere ... though
their spectacularly bad track record on the 5.0 and 5.1 release series
makes one wonder.  Maybe the problem is exactly that they have too many
engineers who don't understand their own code very well.

> Or perhaps they preprocess a different
> repository in order to create an obfuscated GPL source tree.

No, the parts of their devel process that are visible (such as the bk
commit archives) don't suggest any such thing.  It's just ugly code.

I'm not sure we should be throwing too many stones, though.  It takes
a long time to wrap your brain around the PG source code, too.

            regards, tom lane