Re: locks and "select for update" - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: locks and "select for update"
Date
List pgsql-sql
Wayne Cuddy <lists-pgsql@useunix.net> writes:
> The documentation about concurrency states that all the different types
> of locks are table locks even if the word row appears in the lock name.

Section 13.3.1, "Table-level Locks", states that all the lock types
discussed therein are table-level locks, even though some of them have
names containing the word ROW for historical reasons.  I don't see how
you'd read it to imply that there are no finer-grained locks anywhere in
Postgres.
        regards, tom lane