Re: compiler warnings on the buildfarm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: compiler warnings on the buildfarm
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> and this is the initial list for contrib(excluding a lot of duplicate
> warnings and stuff that is a result of invalid compiler flags which I
> will mention seperatly):

I fixed most of these, I believe.  A couple remain untouched:

> animal: cuckoo              warnings: 9
> y.tab.c: In function 'yy_reduce_print':
> y.tab.c:764: warning: passing argument 3 of 'yy_symbol_print' from
> incompatible pointer type

I don't see this on either PPC or Intel Mac.  I think the problem is
probably an old bison version on this buildfarm member.

> animal: dugong              warnings: 21
> ../../src/include/storage/s_lock.h(246): warning #167: argument of type
> "volatile slock_t={unsigned int} *" is incompatible with
> parameter of type "void *"
>         ret = _InterlockedExchange(lock,1);
>                                    ^

I see this is not just contrib but throughout the core too on this
machine.  We could possibly suppress it by casting away volatile in the
tas() function, but I wonder if that might have bad side-effects.  Any
thoughts?

> pg_buffercache_pages.c(116): warning #188: enumerated type mixed with
> another type
>                         LWLockAcquire(FirstBufMappingLock + i, LW_SHARED);
>                                       ^

This warning occurs in too many places to want to fix, also.