Re: initdb profiles - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: initdb profiles
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> All jokes aside, tuning aids are surely needed, but letting initdb guess
> the required profile isn't going to do it.

initdb is really the wrong place for this anyway, because in many
situations (RPM installations for instance) initdb is run behind the
scenes with no opportunity for user interaction.  We should be doing
our best to remove options from initdb, not add them.

I think Andrew has a good point that we need to work more on making
configuration tuning easier ... but initdb isn't the place.