Re: UTF8 for docs - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: UTF8 for docs
Date
List pgsql-docs
> Our release.sgml contains these lines, that I wrote:
>         we cannot use UTF8 because SGML Docbook does not support it
>         do not use numeric _UTF_ numeric character escapes (&#nnn;),
>         we can only use Latin1

> Should this be changed now that we are using XML for head?  It cannot be
> changed for back branch releases since those are still SGML, so I
> suggest we keep this restriction.  I have updated the doc comments.

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that restricting the
character set was still a good idea because of downstream restrictions
on rendering of the docs.  For instance, pretty much every web browser
can render Latin1 characters, but I wouldn't bet on Klingon working.

Maybe we could go a little further than the standard named-entity
characters, but it'd take some research to figure out what is safe.

            regards, tom lane