Re: Why Not MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Why Not MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Mitch Vincent" <mitch@huntsvilleal.com> writes:
> Hmm, something else that I see that might break some code between 6.5.* and
> 7.0 (it did mine) is the fact that dates and date times are returned the
> reverse that they use to be.

ISO format to be exact... not just the reverse order, but different layout.

It's always been possible to break unsuspecting apps by changing the
DATESTYLE; I think it's good practice for an app to set DATESTYLE for
itself, if it's dependent on a particular setting.

> No big deal but just out of curiosity, why the change?

ISO and Y2K political correctness ;-).  If you don't like it, set
DATESTYLE to the old default ('Postgres' I think).  It's also possible
to change the system-wide default with a suitable postmaster switch,
but I forget the details.