Re: Timezone fun (bugs and a request) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Timezone fun (bugs and a request)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com> writes:
> Also, unless I'm missing something, shouldn't Chile (Alvaro's timezone?)
> be behind GMT (GMT-something) not ahead of it (GMT+something)?

Part of the confusion here is that the zone names in the zic database
follow POSIX rules: plus is west of Greenwich.  AFAICS it's doing the
right thing in selecting Etc/GMT-12 for you.  Have you checked the
actual time values reported by the server to see if they look okay?

I'm a bit hesitant to reverse the sign convention in the zic database to
agree with SQL conventions --- that seems certain to lead to even more
confusion.