Re: reldesc does not exit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: reldesc does not exit
Date
List pgsql-general
"Darrin Ladd" <dladd@newfoundcomm.net> writes:
> I have Postgres 7.0.2 installed on an Alpha running Red Hat Linux 6.2.  The
> table is truncated and loaded with approximately 40,000 records per day.
> The load is done by performing a COPY FROM.  The first time it was ever
> loaded, the load was done using insert statements, with autocommit on and
> the box froze half way through.  Ever since then, every time the truncation
> is performed, the reldesc warning has been displayed.

Hm.  Nothing out-of-the-ordinary about your table definition or what
you're doing with it, and 40K records is certainly not anything that's
going to stress the system.

An Alpha, on the other hand, is not such a common platform.  I am
thinking that there is probably some 64-bit portability bug lurking
in the hashtable code that manages the reldesc cache.  It might be
dependent on the exact table name and/or OID.  Could you tell us the
real name of this table (I assume it's not "foo") and the OID (do
"select oid from pg_class where relname = 'table name'")?  Do you
see the same notice when you do a TRUNCATE on other tables?

Does anyone else running an Alpha see this sort of notice when doing
a TRUNCATE TABLE?

            regards, tom lane