Re: Alpha releases: How to tag - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alpha releases: How to tag
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Monday 03 August 2009 17:44:32 Tom Lane wrote:
>> I feel that making a branch is the way to go.  If we try to get away
>> with a shortcut, we'll probably regret it.

> Another more lightweight alternative is to tag and then change the version
> number and build the tarball, without another commit.  This assumes that the
> version number stamping is automated and reproducible, so you don't have to
> record it in history.

The stamping is reproducible enough, I think, but don't we have the
tarball build process set up so that it pulls the tarball directly
from a particular CVS tag?

Anyway, the reason I'm for a branch is not that.  It's so we have the
option to issue an 8.5alpha1.1 update if we need to.