Re: Default timezone changes in 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Default timezone changes in 9.1
Date
List pgsql-general
> On 2012-12-16 12:25:13 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm still not sure what
>> the OP actually wants to accomplish by moving the time of making the
>> choice.

> I guess he wants - and I have seen that before - to use the same
> postgresql.conf across a number of different systems. Where the
> individual servers are in different timezones...

> Doing initdb, extracting the few values that should be kept, and then
> putting those and an include for the common configuration file into the
> configuration is harder than just replacing it alltogether.

True, but if he's assuming that timezone is and always will be the only
thing that needs to vary across servers, he's in for pain someday
anyway.  Probably sooner not later.

Another possibility for per-server overrides is to specify stuff on the
postmaster command line, assuming you're using a custom start script
that you can tweak to add parameter settings there.

            regards, tom lane