Re: Postgresql Materialized views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgresql Materialized views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Sean Utt" <sean@strateja.com> writes:
> My point is simply this: The lack of a clear formal process for feature
> requests leads to this degradation in the conversation.

Two comments:

1) The existing informal process has served us very well for more than
ten years now.  I'm disinclined to consider replacing it, because that
would risk altering the community's dynamics for the worse.

2) In the end, this is an open source *community*; no amount of formal
feature requesting will have any material impact on what actually gets
implemented, because there isn't any central control.  What gets
implemented is whatever individual contributors choose to work on,
either because they find it interesting or (in some cases) because
someone pays them to do something specific.  Certainly, some
contributors pay attention to what's being requested, but I see no
reason to think that increasing the level of formality will help them.

In short: we haven't got a "road map" and we like it that way.