Re: 7.4 Crashed... Why? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.4 Crashed... Why?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hunter Hillegas <lists@lastonepicked.com> writes:
> I did find a cron job that was running in the suspect time... But all it
> does is the following:
> DATE=`date +%Y%m%d`
> DB1=/root/database_backup/db1_db.$DATE
> su - postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump db1" >> $DB1
> gzip $DB1
> Is it possible this could cause some strange behavior? This backup script
> has been running for a year (every night) w/o any trouble.

The cron script itself certainly looks unexceptional.  But if "su - postgres"
executes postgres' ~/.profile or other shell-startup scripts (I think it
does so on some platforms but not others), maybe you had some weird
behavior recently added to those scripts?

            regards, tom lane