Re: Closing some 8.4 open items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Closing some 8.4 open items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 08:52:31AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> We're up to at least four different categories of functions that
>> people think might require special treatment: window, trigger, I/O,
>> everything else.

> The current psql has \da and \df, the latter of which now includes I/O
> functions.  I contend that windowing functions are different enough
> that they require a separate category.

I think the fact that aggregates have a separate command is somewhat
historical.  However, the fact remains that at the SQL level there is
CREATE/DROP/etc AGGREGATE and CREATE/DROP/etc FUNCTION, and nothing
else.  If we don't hang psql's hat on that same hook then we are going
to confuse users --- not to mention that this thread will never reach a
resolution because there will be too many alternatives.