Re: 7.0 RPMS and syslog problem. (more) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.0 RPMS and syslog problem. (more)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Schout <mschout@gkg.net> writes:
> Upon further investigation, I found that when the hostname is broadcast to everyone, the following also appears in
/var/log/messages:
> May 17 09:28:11 galaxy
> May 17 09:28:11 galaxy syslogd: Cannot glue message parts together

Hmm.  We were just discussing this a few weeks ago, when someone
suggested making the syslog option be the default and I wanted to
know if it was really robust enough for that.  Seems it's not.
On at least some platforms, syslog can't cope with log messages
exceeding a few hundred characters.  Postgres 7.0 is quite capable
of putting out log messages in the megabyte range, if you have debug
logging turned on --- just shove a sufficiently long query at it.

So I'm afraid the answer is that syslog and verbose logging won't
play together, at least not on your platform.  Sorry.

We really need a better logging answer...