Re: [GENERAL] "make world" constantly throwing error on Ubuntu - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] "make world" constantly throwing error on Ubuntu
Date
List pgsql-general
Ankit Sablok <ankitsab@buffalo.edu> writes:
> while running "make world" after the configure script I am constantly
> receiving the following error and I am not able to find much help on web
> regarding the same :

> /bin/sh ../../../config/missing osx -D. -x lower -i include-xslt-index
> postgres.sgml >postgres.xmltmp
> ***
> ERROR: `osx' is missing on your system.
> ***

If you want to build the documentation (which is one of the steps implied
by "make world") then osx is one of the tools you need for that.  On my
RHEL machine it's part of the "opensp" package.  I don't know how Ubuntu
arranges their doc tools, but on RHEL and Fedora I've always found that
it was sufficient to install the "authoring and publishing" package set.
You can find additional advice at
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/docguide.html

If you don't actually care about the PG docs, don't use "make world".
"make all" at the top level, followed by "make all" in the contrib
subdir, should cover what you need.

            regards, tom lane