Re: Working with v8.3.4 DB using v9.0.1 software - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Working with v8.3.4 DB using v9.0.1 software
Date
List pgsql-general
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> On 12/27/10 11:00 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> psql should work the same, apart from new metacommands. I don't think
>> you'll experience issues with pg_ctl. I would not recommend you to user
>> pg_dump and pg_restore. They are pretty sensitive to the PostgreSQL release.

> pg_dump is designed specifically to be able to dump from all supported
> older versions so you can convert the data forwards.

Right, but the key word in that sentence is "forwards".  Dumping from an
8.3 database with 9.0 pg_dump will likely produce SQL that doesn't
reload into an 8.3 server, only into 9.0.

> pg_restore, yeah, I would not use pg_restore 9 to restore a dump onto a
> 8.3.x database.

It's mostly pg_dump not pg_restore that determines this.  pg_restore
just pulls out the SQL that was written by pg_dump.

            regards, tom lane