Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Urbański <wulczer@wulczer.org> writes:
> On 02/03/11 14:25, Robert Haas wrote:
>> But does bumping the ref count then create a leak the rest of the time?

> Not really, because you never want to garbage collect the spiexceptions
> module (just like you don't want to GC th plpy module, or the plpy.info
> function etc.). So the reference count of that module should never drop
> to zero, but apparently on some machines it does. So just reffing
> artificailly is kind of a valid solution, I'm just uneasy with not
> knowing why it fails on some machines and does not on others.

Yeah, that last point makes me nervous too.  A look into the Fedora
repository shows that the python version shipped in F13 is rather
heavily patched:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=python.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/f13/master;hb=refs/heads/f13/master
It's not clear to me which of their changes from a stock build might
be at issue, though, and even less clear whether they introduced a
bug or did something to expose a bug of ours.