Re: Will Altering and Modifying tables during backup result in acorrupted server after the restore? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Aguayo Garcia-Rada
Subject Re: Will Altering and Modifying tables during backup result in acorrupted server after the restore?
Date
In response to Will Altering and Modifying tables during backup result in acorrupted server after the restore?  (Yashwanth Govinda Setty <ygovindasetty@commvault.com>)
List pgsql-general
Not sure if such case would corrup the backup, but I won't make a backup just by copying the data directory.

Use pg_basebackup instead, it's safer

Regards,

Alvaro Aguayo
Operations Manager
Open Comb Systems E.I.R.L.

Office: (+51-1) 3377813 | Mobile: (+51) 995540103 | (+51) 954183248
Web: www.ocs.pe

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yashwanth Govinda Setty" <ygovindasetty@commvault.com>
To: "PostgreSql-general" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Monday, 21 May, 2018 10:03:18
Subject: Will Altering and Modifying tables during backup result in a corrupted server after the restore?

Hi All,

We are trying this scenario:
Here are the steps being done:

1.       Creating a big table. Identify the physical file on the disk.

  1.  While backup process is backing up a file associated with the table - update the rows , add a column.
  2.  Restore the server with transaction logs

We are backing up (copying) the entire postgres data directory. The database/table file being backed up (copied), is
modifiedby running alter/update queries on the table.

When we restore the copied data directory and replay/apply the transaction logs, will the server be restored to an
healthystate?

(The files modified during backup can be corrupted, will this affect the restore?)

Thanks,
Yashwanth

"This communication may contain confidential and privileged material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or distribution
by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received the message by mistake,
please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message. Thank you."