Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua Berkus
Subject Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
All,

> I agree that we should not reduce the support window. The fact that we
> can do in place upgrades of the data only addresses one pain point in
> upgrading. Large legacy apps require large retesting efforts when
> upgrading, often followed by lots more work renovating the code for
> backwards incompatibilities.

Definitely.  Heck, I can't get half our clients to apply *update* releases because they have a required QA process
whichtakes a month.  And a lot of companies are just now deploying the 8.4 versions of their products.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.